facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog external search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
VIDEO: Current Connection in Railroad Retirement Thumbnail

VIDEO: Current Connection in Railroad Retirement

Video Survivor Benefits Retirement


This episode we're going to talk about Current Connection in Railroad Retirement. You hear that term tossed around some people know what I mean and some people don't. So hopefully after this video you have a better understanding of what it means in the house affect your Railroad Retirement so back to the house on right so it's needed for Survivor nobody's I did a video last week on Survivor noticed you can check that out on my YouTube channel occupational disability annuity you know you got injured on the job you need to have a current Connection in order to claim occupy the occupational disability annuity and supplemental annuity switch you know aren't really available for us to be working around tree 1981 so I figured pretty much 99% of you probably weren't working for before 1981 has been graduations but otherwise receive connection right what do I need to write so I need to have in the last 12 months for at least 12 months of credible railroad service in the last 30 months I'll get it right the last 30 months so you need to 12 months edible railroad service in the last 30 months all right so then you have your Career Connection which right with current connection probably impacts most viewed with the Survivor annuity so so unfortunately if something happens to you and you passed away a Survivor annuity will kick in if you have the current connection okay that's very important to maintain my current selection no service in the last 3 months so you didn't do the 12 credible months in the last 3 months that will break a connection also would say you're laid off and go self-employed right now you know I'm going to try to make some money on the side while I'm laid off here well if you incorporate your business you're going to lose your connection so that's not good but if you say unincorporated you will keep your connection so give me example of unincorporated let's say you want it it'll go to drive Uber or something stay on Incorporated self-employed you keep your current connection but also non-exempt government agencies so if you go work but if you're in the military that's not so you can get a chance that you'll keep your current connection VA there's some Transportation agencies that you keep your faction but if you want works for the Department of Agriculture you'll lose your exemptions so that's that's breaking the connection they also affects individuals who have been in the railroad industry for over 25 years so involuntary separation so we know there's a lot of us are going around involuntary separation from the railroad industry so if you've done 45 years of service and didn't decline a railroad employment opportunity somewhere else or on the same railroad another railroad or even further away at the same position same skill level right so if you're you know if your well up there you can't go back down to the bottom wrong account right so if you didn't to climb that you'll keep your current connection and I'd only really affects the Survivor annuity supplemental we already talked about them to another but Survivor which is very important so you'll have that Survivor annuity benefit if that's the 25 years you've had separated or aren't able to find any credible railroad employment service retirement community mystify that term current connection at all so if you could please subscribe to my YouTube channel it's on the lower right-hand side of your screen just click the Subscribe that that would be great on share the word about it it's some of these videos out to help people meantime stay safe and stay on track and take care.

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel

Disclaimer: This article is provided for general information and illustration purposes only. Nothing contained in the material constitutes tax advice, a recommendation for purchase or sale of any security, or investment advisory services. Highball Advisors encourages you to consult a financial planner, accountant, and/or legal counsel for advice specific to your situation. Reproduction of this material is prohibited without written permission from Highball Advisors, and all rights are reserved.